Yurii Shirokov, (Широков, Юрий Михайлович 21.6.1921—5.7.1980), mathematician, physicist, professor, writer. Graduated from Moscow State University (Moscow) in 1948. Worked in the same university, then in the Steklov Mathematical Institute (Moscow). He wrote more than 100 scientific papers  and several monographs, among which the textbook "Nuclear Physics" .
Algebra of generalized functions
Classical and quantum mechanics
Shirokov was, perhaps, not the first to mention that quantum mechanics has many classical limits. The Planck constant \(~\hbar~\) appears in many relations, and there are many options to keep some of parameters (or even to vary them all) as \(~\hbar \rightarrow 0~\). The most known limiting cases of quantum mechanics are classical waves and Newtonian mechanics. Shirokov has systematised the construction of classical limits of quantum mechanics, see .
Development of Shirokov's ideas
The most important ideas about the quantum mechanics and the theoretical physics in general formulated by Shirokov are not yet developed. In particular, the field theory in terms of wave packets (i.e., without divergent terms and without divergent series) is not yet constructed.
Part of this material previously appeared at Wikipedia.
- Широков Юрий Михайлович at "Biography" (in Russian), http://www.biografija.ru/show_bio.aspx?id=137184
- Yu.M.Shirokov, N.P.Yudin. Nuclear Physics. 1983, isbn 978-0828524513 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nuclear-Physics-Yu-M-Shirokov/dp/0828524513
- http://springerlink.metapress.com/content/w3010821x8267824/?p=5bb23f98d846495c808e0a2e642b983a&pi=3 Yu.M.Shirokov, . Algebra of one-dimensional generalized functions TMF 39 p.471–477 (1979)
- http://springerlink.metapress.com/content/hg5w86077wnp2637/?p=5bb23f98d846495c808e0a2e642b983a&pi=0 Yu.M.Shirokov, . Algebra of three-dimensional generalized functions TMF 40 p.790–794 (1979)
- http://www.springerlink.com/content/k2164755540243kw/ O.G.Goryaga, Yu. M. Shirokov. Energy levels of an oscillator with singular concentrated potential TMF 46 p.321–324 (1981)
- http://springerlink.metapress.com/content/n620p80368770623/?p=2dec3e2814434eef9b18c6eeace9841d&pi=36 S.V.Talalov, Yu.M.Shirokov. Interaction of a charged particle with an external electromagnetic field in the presence of a strongly singular potential TMF 46 p.207–210 (1981)
- http://springerlink.metapress.com/content/nlnq818641568706/?p=ec1cea4940d049e9a606f4895c63e296&pi=6 G. K. Tolokonnikov, . Differential rings used in Shirokov algebras TMF 53 p.952–954 (1982)
- http://springerlink.metapress.com/content/l7h814r038750752/?p=5567f939c2764f8eaba7e8e684101a40&pi=24 Yu.M.Shirokov, . Perturbation theory with respect to Planck's constant TMF 31 p.488–492 (1977)
- http://www.turpion.org/php/paper.phtml?journal_id=pu&paper_id=4852 N N Bogolyubov, S N Vernov, V S Vladimirov, A A Logunov, M K Polivanov, V E Troitskiĭ, D V Shirokov. Yuriĭ Mikhaĭlovich Shirokov (Obituary) Sov.Phys.Uspekhi 24 p.526–527 (1981)