Democracy (Демократия) is style of the state organisation characterised with that, that the official rulers are elected by the people and follow the Law approved by the people.
Democracy seems to be more efficient than other form of the state organisation, although has many own defects. In particular, democracy implies certain level of civil education of the population. Over–vice, the will of the majority leads to discrimination, robbery of any minority (defined by any arbitrary criterion), suppression of freedom of distribution of information, censorship and Propaganda. The last two phenomena, in their turn, convert the mentality of the society to barbarian style, leading to suppression, liquidation of democracy and establishment of hardest form of dictatorship, fascism and absolute terror, not limited with any law .
Some attempts to establish democracy in a barbarian country may fail; some references on this phenomenon (referring to war in Iraq, 2003) are collected in article Democracy for export.
Democracy appears as efficient tool, but it implies certain skills and culture of those who use it. The democracy seem to fail in barbarian countries; the people there use it to build-up hard and destructive dictator with fascism as official ideology and fuhrer as religious symbol of worship, as God. Democracy may fail in a civilised country (as it happens in Germany in 1930x), but there are no examples of successful democracy in barbarian society.
Democracy and Russia
There are different opinions about possibility of establishing of democracy in Russia in century 21.
2009.05.06, Maksim Shapiro indicates, that the people in Russia are not ready for democracy. 
2016.05.24, Vladimir Kara-Murza indicates, that Russians are ready for democracy, and the only need is to stop the western support of Russian terrorists and other criminal soviet veterans, who plunder the treasure from Russia and hide it in the civilised countries. .
Even some ex-communists, who were members of the most fascistic organisation, KPSS, express hopes for democracy. 2017.05.20, Louis Nelson states that Michail Gorbachev states that 'Russia can succeed only through democracy' 
- https://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1918/dec/23.htm Lenin Internet Archive. “Democracy” and Dictatorship. Written: December 23, 1918 First Published: January 3, 1919 in Pravda No. 2 Source: Lenin Collected Works, Volume 28 (p. 368-72) Transcription\Markup: Brian Baggins Online Version: Lenin Internet Archive (marxists.org) 2000. .. The bourgeoisie are compelled to be hypocritical and to describe as "popular government", democracy in general, or pure democracy, the ( bourgeois ) democratic republic which is, in practice, the dictatorship of the bourgeoisie, the dictatorship of the exploiters over the working people. The Scheidemanns and Kautskys, the Austerlitzes and Renners (and now, to our regret, with the help of Friedrich Adler) fall in line with this falsehood and hypocrisy. But Marxists, Communists, expose this hypocrisy, and tell the workers and the working people in general this frank and straightforward truth: the democratic republic, the Constituent Assembly, general elections, etc., are, in practice, the dictatorship of the bourgeoisie, and for the emancipation of labor from the yoke of capital there is no other way but to replace this dictatorship with the dictatorship of the proletariat. ..
- http://leninism.su/works/84-tom-45/478-dopolneniy-k-ugolovnomu-kodeksu-45.html ЛЕНИН В.И. ПОЛНОЕ СОБРАНИЕ СОЧИНЕНИЙ ТОМ 45. ДОПОЛНЕНИЯ К ПРОЕКТУ ВВОДНОГО ЗАКОНА К УГОЛОВНОМУ КОДЕКСУ РСФСР И ПИСЬМА Д. И. КУРСКОМУ/ Впервые напечатано в 1924 г. в книге «V Всероссийский съезд деятелей советской юстиции. 10—15 марта 1924 года. Тезисы. Стенографический отчет. Резолюции», Москва, Юриздат. .. Суд должен не устранить террор; обещать это было бы самообманом или обманом, а обосновать и узаконить его принципиально, ясно, без фальши и без прикрас. Формулировать надо как можно шире, ибо только революционное правосознание и революционная совесть поставят условия применения на деле, более или менее широкого.
- http://www.ifz-muenchen.de/heftarchiv/2002_1_5_dierker.pdf Wolfgang Direkter. „ICH WILL KEINE NULLEN, SONDERN BULLEN". Hitlers Koalitionsverhandlungen mit der Bayerischen Volkspartei im März 1933 Z.137–138: Aufzeichnung von Hans Ritter von Lex über seine Unterredungen mit Hitler, 109 19. März 1933. .. Die demokratischen Führer der Länder nach der Weimarer Verfassung hätten sich nicht gescheut, zum Erstaunen und zur Freude des Auslandes in öffentlichen Versammlungen, in der Presse, im Rundfunk gegen die Reichsregierung zum Teil auf das Schärfste Stellung zu nehmen.
- http://budclub.ru/s/shapiro_m_a/demrus1.shtml Шапиро Максим Анатольевич. Возможна ли в России демократия и нужна ли она? 06/05/2009. (In Russian)
- https://oslofreedomforum.com/talks/russians-are-ready-for-democracy Russians Are Ready for Democracy. Vladimir Kara-Murza. 2016 Oslo Freedom Forum May 24, 2016. The Russian government doesn’t love activist Vladimir Kara-Murza, but he loves Russia. That’s why he is devoting his life to the fight for democracy in Russia, even though it might get him killed. Hear him deliver a powerful call for change from the stage at the 2016 Oslo Freedom Forum. .. .. Of our friends in the West we ask only one thing. Stay true to your values. We are not asking for your support. It is our task to change Russia, and we will to it ourselves. The only thing we ask from you is that you stop supporting Mr.Putin by treating him as respectable and worthy partner on the world stage. And above all, by allowing his cronies to use your countries as havens for their looted wealth. And please stop falling for the lie that Russians are somehow uniquely unsuited, incapable, not ready for democracy. We are suited. We are capable. We are ready. And we will get there, just like you. ..
- http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/20/gorbachev-putin-time-100-2017-237396 Louis Nelson. Gorbachev throws shade at Putin: 'Russia can succeed only through democracy'. 04/20/17 09:57 AM EDT